The inside doesn't look as good as I had hoped, but the glue on the inside joints prevented a very good stain. Overall, I think the case looks decent enough, but it's a bit plain. I really prefer the look of it on the outside, as everything is really refined. Hopefully Mr. Provenzano will like it.
Sunday, February 2, 2014
30 Projects in One Post 15
This week, my wish of a new project arising was granted when my teacher, Mr. Provenzano, asked me to make him a case for his Google Glass. The only real specifics he wanted was that he preferred a dark wood stain. So, I made a trip to a few stores to gather what was needed and got to work. I found the dimensions for the Google Glass here: http://blog.reybango.com/2013/05/27/google-glass-packaging-and-dimensions/. I got some Select Pine boards and marked them up to the right dimensions, on the third try. I made a few mistakes when marking everything up, but luckily I had enough wood to cover for my mistakes. Once I had the right dimensions, I cut everything out and glued the pieces up. After about 45 minutes of glue drying, I then sanded all the edges even, because everything was not quite lined up. Then, I attached two hinges to the back of the box, so that the lid could swing open and closed. Then it was time to sand all the edges round and get everything touched up. Once this was done, I had to add a latch to the front of the case that would keep the lid shut. This was simple enough and everything was pretty much done. However, I still had to stain the wood. I chose a walnut stain, as this would satisfy Mr. Provenzano's request of a dark stain. After it was dry, I put on a coat of Danish Oil, because it really helps to bring out not only the natural color of the wood, but the color of the wood stain as well. I'm sorry I couldn't provide pictures of all these different steps, but I was really in a crunch for time today. Here are a few pictures of the finished product: