Sunday, January 12, 2014

30 Projects in One Post 13

     This week, I was sitting at my computer thinking of what I should build this week.  I was browsing through all the new Instructables, but couldn't see anything I wanted to make.  Then I remembered that I had been wanting to get a stand for my headphones.  Usually, I'll just put my headphones on my desk, chair, or wherever convenient.  This would be fine normally, but I did  spend quite a bit of money on my headphones last year, so I wanted to take better care of them.  So, I figured I'd make a stand for them.  I searched "headphone stand" on Instructables and found this great one with a nice template: http://www.instructables.com/id/Wooden-Headphone-Stand/.  I took a very quick trip to Lowe's to get some red oak, printed out the template, and copied it onto the wood.  Here is the outline before I cut the parts:


     After cutting the parts out, I decided to just sand it as well, because you wouldn't be able to see much of a difference between the two steps.  Here is what it looked like at this point:


     The next step was to find two screws in the large quantity of left-over nails and screws from previous projects.  I found two that would suit the job, found matching drill bits that could drill the right size pilot holes to prevent splitting, and marked the positions for the holes on the base and the stand.  After everything was laid out, I drilled the holes, put some wood glue on the bottom of the stand, and drilled the screws into the base and into the stand.  Here is what the stand looks like now:


     The microphone is pretty much finished now and is fully functional, but I didn't want to leave it unstained.  I took out my Danish Oil and a paint brush and put two coats on the whole stand.  The Danish Oil is nice because it gets soaked up into the wood rather than just drying on the surface.  Also, it really brings out the natural colors and grain of any wood.  This is the result from the stain:


     If you hadn't picked up on what the stand would really be used for (because most people don't really have a need for a headphone stand), here is the stand in use:


     I am really happy with how this project turned out.  To me, it seems like it could be found in a store.  This is mostly thanks to my new belt sander that I bought over winter break.  It can take off a lot of wood pretty fast, but it leaves the wood with a near perfect finish.  This is really helpful because the band saw leaves a pretty rough cut, especially with curves.  Normally, I would have to do my best with a couple rasps, files, and sandpaper.  This works, but it takes probably ten, or more, times longer.  So, hopefully I can get much better products and finishes on my projects.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Griffin,
    My name is Tayler and I'm a freshman at the University of Saint Joseph in CT. I've been reading your blog and its really interesting! I'm amazed by what you've been able to create. I also like how you explain exactly what it is that you do and provide tons of pictures. I always think that visuals help! I'll continue following your blog and be learning along with you about your projects. Can't wait to see what you do next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for the support! I love making everything that I do, and it's great to see that others seem to like it too. Hopefully you like what is to come!

    ReplyDelete